[Lexicog] lady bug

Nick Miller nick.miller at CZECH-TRANSLATION.COM
Fri Sep 16 07:40:48 UTC 2005

In Czech ladybird is 'beruska'- just a diminutive of 'brouk' - 'beetle'

Do you know this info?:
"Now about the words "ladybug" and "ladybird." Our "ladybug" is the
supposedly inelegant corruption of "ladybird," so the main question deals
with the etymology of "ladybird." "Ladybird" is itself a sort of corruption
of the term "Our Lady's Bird," with "Our Lady" being understood to be the
Virgin Mary. The idea apparently is that ladybugs are so pretty that they're
worthy of being associated with The Virgin. This notion flows through other
cultures as well. The French call ladybugs "les betes du bon Dieu," or
"creatures of the good God," and "les vaches de la Vierge," or "cows of the
Virgin." The Germans call them "Marienkäfer," or "Mary's beetles." "
The link is http://www.backyardnature.net/n/03/031228.htm written by one Jim
Conrad

Nick Miller

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM