[Lexicog] lady bug

Nick Miller nick.miller at CZECH-TRANSLATION.COM
Fri Sep 16 08:25:44 UTC 2005

Hi Jan,
Well, it's in Holub and Lyer's Stručný etymologický slovník jazyka českého.
I didn't make it up.
Nick

 -----Original Message-----
 From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com]
 Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 10:12 AM
 To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
 Subject: RE: [Lexicog] lady bug

 Nick,

 I don't want to sound like a native speaker who murmurs against a
non-native linguist repeatedly. That is not my intention.
 Nevertheless, 'beruška' does not sound like "a diminutive of 'brouk'
('beetle')" to my native ear. Checking the word in the Czech Etymological
dictionary reveals that the origin of the word is unclear, with two or three
theoretically possible, but unproven options.
 By the way, the older version of beruška is berunka, and an even
older one is bedrunka, still used here in the Wallachian dialect.

 Jan