[Lexicog] lady bug

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Fri Sep 16 15:12:54 UTC 2005

No, Fritz. I think the idea of 'cow' for Hebrew paarat Moshe Rabbenu is coming from Russian 'bozhya korovka" ('a little cow of God'). The most influential person for reviving of spoken Hebrew was Eliezer Ben-Yehuda who was born in Odessa. Through him and other Russian Jews who emigrated to Palestine in the second half of 19th century the ideas of Russian etymology frequently entered Hebrew language semantic sphere mostly in cases when Arabic or Aramaic forms didn't give satisfactory borrowings. Many Russian and other Slavic (Polish, Ukrainian) borrowings existed already in Eastern Yiddish. Since most of immigrants in Palestine were from Slavic speaking areas and speakers of Yiddish, the Slavic ideas permeated
both Yiddish and Hebrew to such degree that Paul Wexler wrote that these languages have
Slavic structure, and he classified them with Slavic languages. Among other nonsense statements he made, he declared that Sephardi Jews originated from Berbers and Ashkenazi Jews from Slavs or Khazars.

Best wishes,
Hayim

________________________________

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Fritz Goerling
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:15 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] lady bug

Is this little bug not also called lady-cow in English?  I might be wrong.
If it is, where does the idea of cow in Hebrew and English come from  as a label
for this pretty little bug?
In German it is considered to bring luck. How do other languages and cultures see it?

Fritz

	About Moses it is easy. In Hebrew it is called "paarat Mosheh Rabbenu" - i.e, the cow of of our Master Moses (a honorific title of Moses in Jewish culture).

	About the queen, I remember this by association. So I need to look in some articles on the subject. I will write on this matter sometime later.

	Best wishes,
	Hayim