[Lexicog] Blessing, benediction in English and other languages

Margaret Marks margaret.marks at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 20 09:21:08 UTC 2005

On 9/20/05, Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:

> Another (im)possible collocation is "mixed blessing," but not "mixed
> benediction"
> In the more Catholic part of Germany (Bavaria), the male first name
> Benedikt
> occurs, like Benedetto in Italy.

It will be on the increase now! I wonder how many boys have been christened
Benedikt recently? There is at least one Benedick in Shakespeare.

I know I didn't consider the question of empowerment. I would add that you
get blessing in the Old Testament, not benediction.

Margaret