[Lexicog] Heteronyms in English

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 5 19:55:40 UTC 2006

Spanish would abound in "heteronyms" except for the fact that written
accents serve to disambiguate them. A few examples are:

canto 'I sing/singing/edge'  :  cantó '3rd person singular sang'
continuo 'continuous'        :  continúo 'I continue'
cortes 'cuts/courts'         :  cortés 'polite'

Spanish even writes accents to distinguish some homophones, e.g., mas
'but', más 'more'; si 'if', sí 'yes/selves'; se 'self', sé 'I know'; te
'yourself', té 'tea'; tu 'your', tú 'you'.

It is the failure to mark stress in English that provides many of Fritz's
"heteronyms". I bet there are lots of "heteronyms" to be found in
languages which have orthographically unmarked phonemic stress.

--Ken Hill