[Lexicog] Heteronyms in English

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 6 22:11:26 UTC 2006

Spanish 'the pope' is el papa (masculine) and Mexican Spanish 'the potato'
is la papa (feminine). (Peninsular Spanish 'the potato' is la patata and
I've been told in Spain that the Mexican la papa 'the potato' sounds like
a silly mistake, as though there were a female pope. The Mexicans in turn
regard the Spaniards as very hoity-toity.) 'Daddy' is accented on the
final sylleble: papá.

Of course none of these are "heteronyms" in the sense of Fritz's original
idea at the beginning of this thread, words pronounced differently though
graphically identical.

--Ken