[Lexicog] Tone languages in Toolbox/Shoebox

neduchi at NETSCAPE.NET neduchi at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Apr 7 10:02:24 UTC 2006

Dear  Sophie Salffner and Stuart McGill,

You are not alone in your problem; and the solution is also not around
the corner!

My first language, Igbo, is also a tone language. The identified tones
are High, Low, and Downstep; marked with < ´ >, < `>, and < - >
respectively. I have not found ANY software that can handle a
combination of the tone marks with specific alphabets as single units.
I have explored some options and found out the following:

(1) Unicode:
The Unicode angle has been closed. It is no longer possible to add such
combined symbols/characters as 'new' Unicode character.

(2) Fonts and Operating Systems:
You can use specific Unicode-based fonts, like Doulos, CODE2000,
Gentium etc. to achieve this character combination. It works fine on
Windows OS with service park 2; Microsoft programs on the system also
handle the combined characters as single units. But that's not of much
help to the linguist: other software not produced by Microsoft do not
work that find.

(3) Font Solution:
Since the Unicode angle has been blocked, the buck has actually been
passed to those involved in "Font Design". It is now the font
developers that are to design the identified characters as
"pre-composed" characters. A font like "Doulos" should then contain
these "pre-composed" characters. That's when Shoebox, Toolbox, or any
other software can handle them the way we linguists would like it.

On the other hand, since Doulos has now been made available under the
OpenFont License,
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL), may
be some font designers might be in the position to add the identified
characters of African languages as "pre-composed" characters. That
should be the permanent solution to your problem and MY problem.

Best regards,
Chinedu Uchechukwu
Otto-Friedrich-Universität, Bamberg, Germany.