[Lexicog] Tone languages in Toolbox/Shoebox

neduchi at NETSCAPE.NET neduchi at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon Apr 10 09:53:47 UTC 2006

Maxwell,
You asked: "Or are you needing to represent these  vowel + accent
together with a dot under the vowels (as in Yoruba)?"

Yes indeed, that is how it is needed for linguistic works; and (if I
understand the initial poster correctly) that is also the problem the
initial poster is having. I think the already available solutions
within Unicode (i.e. Uniocde points) take care of only a small section
of the problem, which is the vowels without sub-dots.

However, I am actually looking at two issues that converge at the point
of "font" programs.

The first issue is in terms of individual standalone programs that
should handle Igbo texts. I have experimented with different programs:
Concordance, Corpus Presenter, Wordsmith, ToolBox, and Word Sketch
Engine [WSE] (http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/) etc. Only ToolBox and
WordSketch Engine can handle the subdotted vowels without problem; but
a combination of subdotted vowels with the tone marks is simply an
additional burden and most programs that profess to be Unicode based
simply handle them as TWO separate characters. In other words, the
problem STILL persists. WSE is server-based and is not freely
available. In some programs (that profess to be Unicode based) one
component or the other would give you question marks for the sub-dotted
vowels, while another component of the same program would render the
text as it should. Tone marks have not yet been added!

The second issue is connected with the internet. Netscape, Opera,
Firefox can all display Unicode texts without tone marks. But a
subdotted vowel that is combined with a tone mark is displayed as TWO
separate characters. That is why some Africans prefer to present texts
of their language that involve such combined characters either as pdf
or images(screenshots).

Each time I ask around or try to find out a lasting solution, I always
get the same answer: the solution lies with the font designer; he
should produce pre-composed characters, for example: " vowel + accent +
a dot under the vowels".

Is this answer wrong? Or has a Unicode based solution already been
found?

Chinedu Uchechukwu