[Lexicog] Online bilingual word lists

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Apr 12 00:52:13 UTC 2006

steve at linguistlist.org wrote:
> I've been searching online for bilingual word lists of major languages but
> am having no luck.

If by "bilingual word lists" you mean bilingual dictionaries (most of
which give glosses, rather than definitions, hence are basically word
lists with maybe some other information), then there are roughly 1 1/2
bazillion of these on-line.  I would suggest starting with places that
catalog dictionaries, e.g.

   http://www.worldlanguage.com/ProductTypes/Dictionary.htm
   http://www.dictionarium.com/
   http://www.lai.com/glossaries.html
   http://www.wordgumbo.com/index.htm
   http://www.yourdictionary.com/
etc. (there are lots more catalogs--try LinguistList, OLAC, Rosetta,
Wiktionary, or links from the particular language names at Wikipedia,
the Yahoo language catalog, UCLA Language Materials,...)

Some of the above sites are more or less commercial, and some may have
disappeared.

If after this you still need dictionaries in some languages, you could
try posting here, but also at language-specific mailing lists or
websites.  There are "major" languages without on-line dictionaries, but
they're becoming a rarity.  (Tigrinya is one exception to this
generalization, at least the last time I looked.  And of course there
are unwritten languages with large populations, like ASL or spoken
varieties of Arabic.)

And as a last resort, try searching for words in the languages you want
(these are more likely to lead to texts than to dictionaries, though),
or for the language names (using e.g. the Ethnologue as a source of
alternative names) + "lexicon OR dictionary OR glossary".

    Mike Maxwell
    CASL/ U of Maryland