[Lexicog] Q: Language and Technology

Terence Fitzgerald it_all_fitz at YAHOO.COM
Sat Apr 22 23:20:53 UTC 2006

Hello All,

  I am Terence Fitzgerald, a graduate student in Pratt Institute’s School of Information and Library Science.

  My academic work focuses on human-computer interaction, particularly the ways in which, as Marshall McLuhan wrote, “We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us.”  Currently, I am examining technology’s effects on people’s relationship with language.  Specifically, I question whether technology is transforming that relationship in ways never seen before—or simply causing them to revert to existing behaviors.

  As part of my work I have constructed a brief questionaire for lexicographers and linguists.  The responses I compile will be used to inform future projects.  If you are willing to answer the questionnaire, please reply to me off list at it_all_fitz at yahoo.com.

  Sincerely,
Terence