[Lexicog] word list

Bill Poser billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 11 03:22:34 UTC 2006

Dear Hayim,

Sure, if the headwords of a large and suitable dictionary aare
available, they are a good source for compiling another dictionary.
I was simply mentioning alternatives as such lists are not
always available.

I should add that if I were compiling an English -> Urdu dictionary
I would want to obtain a large Urdu wordlist as well, the reason
being that an English list might lack culture-specific items
present in the Urdu list. Of course, in some cases the English
equivalents of these do not exist or are phrases, but it is still
useful, especially if the dictionary is intended for English speakers
since they will often be in the position of wanting to know how to
call something in Urdu, whether or not the appropriate term is a
single word.

On the other hand, if the dictionary is intended for speakers of Urdu
it may be important to include terms that are too recent or technical
to have made it into the English dictionaries. Recent text of
appropriate content is a good source for such items.

Bill

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com