[Lexicog] Re: Who owns your lexicon?

Vladimir Benko Vladimir.Benko at FEDU.UNIBA.SK
Thu Dec 14 15:06:44 UTC 2006

Dear All,

> I don't remember who said this about "markers" being in dictionaries, but I
> will give a try at answering the question about it.
>
> The idea here is that these markers are very difficult to identify, and that
> is how they work. I believe the reference here is to something bogus that is
> deliberately added to a dictionary or some other kind of collection. The
> reason these markers are added to the collection is to be able to prove that
> the collection was copied, such as in court. The idea is that if collection
> B is suspected of having copied collection A en masse, the compilers can
> look to see if the markers from collection A showed up in collection B,
> proving it was a copy. The way to avoid getting caught in such a sting is to
> avoid copying someone else's collection improperly.

Besides the "artificial" markers, you can also consider the "natural"
ones, such as misspellings and other types of errors.  The more
identical errors you can find in A and B collections, the less likely
they were created independently...

Regards,

V Benko, 16:05 dark time

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com