[Lexicog] Santa Claus and Father Christmas

Nick Miller nick.miller at CZECH-TRANSLATION.COM
Wed Dec 20 19:21:34 UTC 2006

Hi Fritz,
By way of an aside I'd just like to add that Father Christmas and Santa Claus actually have different origins:
Father Christmas is said to be derived from an Odin/Woden figure - riding a horse through the sky, punishing the wicked, rewarding the good
Santa Claus is more St. Nicholas - the donkey-riding saint from Asia Minor, giving presents to the poor and worthy in secret.
Back to your question, in the Czech Republic, Svaty Mikulas (this is the same character as St Nick) also comes on the 6th December, dressed as a bishop I think, with an angel and devil. 'Jezisek' - if you like 'Little Jesus' brings presents on 24th Dec.
As for the red and white clothes of Santa Claus - apparently that's the fault of a Coca-Cola ad some time in the past. Father Christmas would have worn 'natural' colours originally.
Merry Christmas
Nick Miller
PS Brits call him both

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fritz Goerling
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:24 PM
  Subject: [Lexicog] Santa Claus and Father Christmas

  Yesterday I drove around Bamako/Mali together with a British colleague. We got a kick out of watching Malian street vendors selling inflatable Santa Clauses (Father Christmases) at red lights. To my surprise I learnt from my British colleague that the Brits call Santa Claus by the name Father Christmas while in German these are two different characters. In Germany St. Nikolaus comes on the 6th of December, and the Weihnachtsmann (Santa, Father Christmas) comes on Christmas Eve.

  What tradition do you have in your language/country and how do you refer to Santa/Father Christmas as one or two different persons?

  Merry Chistmas!

  Fritz Goerling