[Lexicog] Santa Claus and Father Christmas

helge.gundersen at ILN.UIO.NO helge.gundersen at ILN.UIO.NO
Wed Dec 20 20:28:25 UTC 2006

In Norway, gifts are on Christmas Eve only. For the most part, it's the
"julenisse" (the Christmas 'nisse') who comes with the gifts. He is
imported in modern times (at most hundred years ago, I think) and is by
many associated with the commercial world. However, his name and the
presence of a another character is interesting. A "nisse" (without "jule-"
in front) is an old, all-year supernatural character, a kind of house god.
He's supposed to live on farms and could make trouble if you didn't treat
him well, and on Christmas Eve, one had to put a bowl of porridge in the
barn for him (and I think some farmers still do it for the fun of the
ritual). And on Christmas Day, one could indeed see that the porridge was
eaten (by the cat). He has at some point become particularly associated
with Christmas time in several ways, and figures on many Christmas cards.
I've read that in some places, the traditional nisse is the one who comes
with the gifts. I think the opposite has been true as well in folklore
(although I'm not familiar with it), that is the "julenisse" has taken the
role of a boss for the traditional nisses. Thus, the two distinct
characters have to some extent been interwoven in people's minds. "Nissen"
(the 'nisse') can refer to either of them.

Helge Gundersen

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com