[Lexicog] archaic entries

Filip Rudolf keiefar_66 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 10 09:04:41 UTC 2006

goodtracks at peoplepc.com wrote:     I use "archaic" as a term that has documented use in past generations, but
 is no longer used or known by present day speakers.  There may be persons
 who recall the term however.
 I use "old" for those terms that may be heard from and used by a few
 persons, but are not the usual word or pronunciation of a word that is
 current.
 Jimm
 ----- Original Message -----
 From: "phil cash cash" <pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET>
 To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
 Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:03 PM
 Subject: [Lexicog] archaic entries

 > Hi everybody,
 >
 > I just wanted to ask for some input on the intent or meaning behind
 > defining a dictionary entry as "archaic."
 >
 > Thanks in advance,
 >
 > Phil Cash Cash
 > University of Arizona

<no longer used or known by present day speakers> Well, perhaps <no longer used> would suffice. Forms such as 'thou art' or 'thou shalt' are no longer used but are surely understood by educated speakers. It would be interesting to have a closer look at such labels as 'old', 'old use', 'archaic', 'obsolescent' or 'obsolete' as the the distinctions between them are not clear-cut.

Filip

                                                    Science kits                                       Science education                                       Science kit for kid                                                                     Cognitive science                                       Science education supply                                       My first science kit

http://mail.yahoo.com