[Lexicog] archaic entries

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sat Feb 11 00:30:49 UTC 2006

Filip Rudolf asked:
> Is 'archaic' the same as 'old-fashioned'? Are these notions
> interchangeable?

Dictionary makers seem to make a distinction. "Perchance" is not the best
example because it has literary or poetic connotations. But a word like
"wireless" (radio), for example, is a word my parents used. In Chambers
English Dictionary (1989) it is not classified as either archaic or
obsolete. But other dictionaries I have call it old-fashioned or dated
rather than archaic:

Collins Cobuild (1988) "an old-fashioned word"
The New Oxford Dictionary of English (1998) "dated. chiefly Brit"
Encarta World English Dictionary (1999) "dated"
Collins English Dictionary (2005) "chiefly Brit. old-fashioned for radio"

John Roberts