[Lexicog] archaic entries

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sat Feb 11 08:46:34 UTC 2006

David Tuggy said:
> Anyhow, this proves that when we use the categories we'd better define
> pretty carefully what we mean.

As far as I can see, that is exactly what lexicographers do not do. Looking
at my English dictionaries they typically have a guide to the use of the
dictionary, a pronunciation key and a list of abbreviations of technical
terms, where you might find "arch" and "obs". However, none define what they
mean by these terms. So this leads to confusion, as Wayne has shown us. :-)

I notice that my most recently published dictionary, Collins English
Dictionary (2005), does not list "archaic" or "obsolete" in its list of
abbreviations. They seem to prefer more descriptive accounts of usage, such
as "hardly ever used" or "old-fashioned". But I see that "perchance" is
described as "archaic or poetic".

To me this is very ironic. Here we have lexicographers whose sole purpose in
life is to define the meanings of words, but they don't define the meanings
of their own technical terms. Maybe they think that would be too pedantic
for the average user of an English dictionary.

John Robertss