[Lexicog] Framenet

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jun 1 07:07:02 UTC 2006

I very much agree with Patrick's disappointment with the Framenet
project. I merely wanted to bring it to people's attention, as it had
not been mentioned here at any time. I had heard Chuck Fillmore give a
talk here some years ago on a very nuanced analysis of the contextual
meanings of one verb, as revealed in a concordance based on a corpus.
So I was really quite astonished and disappointed to find that the
categories are simply thought up by workers on the project, and arrived
at through consensus in a round-table discussion, but not vetted with
expert consultants outside the project. The arbitrariness of the
procedure and the psychosocial factors involved make the results highly
suspect, for one schooled in an empirical approach, and it seems a poor
use of scarce research funds. I would indeed be interested in seeing
Peter's proposal for an alternative approach.

     Rudy Troike

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM