[Lexicog] A folk-etymology

Michael Nicholas mrnicholas007 at YAHOO.ES
Fri Jun 2 10:11:10 UTC 2006

Dear Rudy,
   Parabrisas is "windscreen" in Spanish as spoken here in Spain. I imagine if you were asked to define "parasol" the answer would involve something like "to ward off the rays, light, heat of the sun"

rtroike at email.arizona.edu escribió:

Someone a few days ago (pardon, I've forgotten who) mentioned the Spanish
word "paracaidas" ("parachute"), and etymologized the "para" as the
preposition meaning "for" ("caida" is "fall"), citing "paraguas" ("umbrella")
as a parallel ("for water").

I had always folk-etymologized the "para" part the same way myself, and just
happened to learn from a student recently that it is actually the verb
"parar" ("to stop, prevent, hinder"). Checking the online OED for "parachute",
I found that the "para" part here is from the same source, and the "chute" is
cognate with the Spanish "caida".

      Live and learn,

      Rudy Troike

        Science kits   Science education   Science kit for kid     Cognitive science   Science education supply   My first science kit

Correo Yahoo!
Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.es