[Lexicog] A folk-etymology

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 2 16:38:31 UTC 2006

There is a whole family of these: paragolpes (stops-blows) 'bumper',
parasol (stops-sun) 'parasol, umbrella', paraguas (stops-waters)
'umbrella', parabrisas (stops-breezes) 'windshield', parafango
(stops-muck) 'fender', etc. They are also, of course, part of a more
extended family of structures like abrelatas (opens-cans) 'can-opener',
rompecabezas (breaks-heads) 'puzzle'. One of my favorites is
espantasuegras (scares-mothersinlaw) 'party-favor noisemaker'.

They're great fun. If any are interested I have a powerpoint on the web
comparing and contrasting them with the (equally fun) English
counterpart structures like scarecrow, skinflint, etc.
(www.sil.org/~tuggyd, then check among the powerpoints. Sorry, Spanish
only, though I could send an English non-pp version to any who'd like.)
Their exocentricity —a paracaídas is neither stopping nor a fall; a
scarecrow is neither scaring nor a crow— is of course a striking and
fascinating feature of them.

Your "folk-etymology" is quite widespread (for all the para-N forms),
and is by no means an outsider-only perspective: very many native
speakers say they have always construed them that way, despite the ready
availability of the V + Obj = Subject(/Instr) pattern to sanction the
"official" analysis. And Spanish does have a well-established P + Obj =
Subject pattern which lends plausibility to (= sanctions) the
folk-etymology, as in sinvergüenza (without-shame) 'jerk,
shameless/brazen person', anteojos (before-eyes) '(eye)glasses', or
parabién (for-good) 'best wish(es)' (certainly not 'stop-good').

I for one have no wish to say that all those who think it is a
preposition are wrong, and those who think it is a verb are right. Why
cannot both be right? Why cannot people even take it both ways at once?
Both make good sense. You carry a paraguas 'for' the rain, in order to
'stop' it, if need be. It doesn't matter which analysis you have in mind
or which your interlocutor has in mind, you'll still understand each
other well enough for virtually all practical purposes. (The best answer
to the question "Why not?" is, I suppose, that then we wouldn't know
what to put in our dictionaries. In other words, the convenience of the
analyst trumps the realities of the language.)

To my mind there are (at least) four related questions, none of which
definitively answers the others, involved in deciding which analysis is
"the right" one: synchronically (a) what is in a given speaker's mind
(e.g. does this person think para 'stop' or para 'for', or some degree
of both?); (b) what does this person think is in other speakers' minds;
(c) generalizing (a-b), what is in fact in other speakers' minds, e.g.
which proportion of them predominantly think 'stop' and which
predominantly think 'for', and what do they think their interlocutors
think; and (d) transporting (a-c) back into history, as well as can be
done, what was the historical origin (and subsequent history) of the
structure? None of these will necessarily give a clear-cut answer.

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM