[Lexicog] Sort Order for Lakota language

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jun 2 17:43:42 UTC 2006

Jan F. Ullrich wrote:
> By listing the pairs of Lakota words with phonemic contrasts I was trying to
> illustrate what I don't like about the type of sort order, not the opposite.
> I wanted to explain the reasons why some of my co-worker prefer that sort
> order option.
> They simply like the fact that words that sound similarly are found near
> each other...

I have to agree with you.  Under the "sound alike" criterion, we ought
to modify the sort order in English dictionaries so that 'p' comes
immediately after 'b' and 'm', so that words like

	bill
         mill
         pill

that sound similar can be adjacent in the dictionary.  Our 'b' and 'p'
are no further apart than 'p' and 'ph' are in a language which has
phonemic aspiration.

(The argument about native speakers who are not used to marking
aspiration is a different one, but as you say, maybe this will get them
to start spelling better...  Hopefully they'll never get to the point
where spelling bees are considered to be tests of intelligence, though.)
--

    Mike Maxwell
    CASL/ University of Maryland

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM