[Lexicog] Re: A folk-etymology

Andrew Dunbar hippytrail at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 6 22:48:31 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, rtroike at email.arizona.edu <rtroike at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Andrew Dunbar wrote:
>
> > My particular favourite is "chupacabras".
>
> Andrew, thanks for pointing us to your Wiktionary collection of Spanish
> compounds. Since you have Wiki access, I suggest that you correct the
> entry for "chupacabras", which is also the name for the nighthawk (also
> known in the US as "bullbat" for some reason), which belongs to the
> Goatsucker family! So folk-mythology makes it into scientific terminology!

Hi Rudy. You might not be aware that the point of Wikipedia and Wiktionary
alike is that everybody has access to edit the articles - just click "Edit".
I didn't go ahead with your suggestion because I recalled a discussion over
at http://www.languagehat.com/mt/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=2035 about
the words "chotacabras" and "chupacabras".

The RAE has an entry for the former but not for the latter, and I'm not expert
enough myself but if you are please go ahead and edit.

Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail)

--
http://linguaphile.sf.net

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM