[Lexicog] DIFFICULT WORDS

Michael Nicholas mrnicholas007 at YAHOO.ES
Wed Jun 14 09:52:44 UTC 2006

Dear Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin,
   Why not get the best of both worlds? I have  the DRAE iinstalled in my computer.

"Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin" <hsheynin at gratz.edu> escribió:
          In many languages we rely on spelling fixed in the dictionaries of great reputation (this is my experience in 96 or so languages I operated) and
Some of my friends linguists conform this. So even in the computer age
We still go to check the correct spelling in particular dictionaries (e.g.
For Russian - Ushakov's dictionary or dictionary of Russian Academy, for German Duden Woerterbuch, for Spanish - Royal Academy diccionario, for Hebrew - either Even Shoshan or R. Alkalai, for Arabic - Hava or Tadj al-arus, etc.

Best wishes,
Hayim

============
Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin
Adjunct Professor of Jewish Literature
Gratz College
7605 Old York Rd.
Melrose Park, PA 19027

Tel.: 215 635-7300 x 161
Fax: 215 635-7320
email: hsheynin at gratz.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jkrimer
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:19 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Lexicog] DIFFICULT WORDS

Greetings,

I believe the dictionary has (almost) lost one of its uses.
Although spelling is still of some importance when communicating with
the written word, the dictionary is not our first choice when
confirming spelling. The average person uses a computer much more
often and is more willing to turn on a computer than pick up a
dictionary.

What do you think?

Jonathan

Correo Yahoo!