[Lexicog] DIFFICULT WORDS

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 15 01:50:08 UTC 2006

When in doubt about a spelling I *always* consult the dictionary. But am I an "average person"? Probably not, but until someone does a study of what the real behavior patterns out there are, it seems lexicographically irresponsible to make generalizations about the behavior of "the average person."

--Ken Hill

jkrimer <jkrimer at yahoo.com> wrote:                               Greetings,

 I believe the dictionary has (almost) lost one of its uses.
 Although spelling is still of some importance when communicating with
 the written word, the dictionary is not our first choice when
 confirming spelling. The average person uses a computer much more
 often and is more willing to turn on a computer than pick up a
 dictionary.

 What do you think?

 Jonathan

http://mail.yahoo.com