[Lexicog] [Fwd: [FLEx]Noun categorization in English (was: ... Bantu)]

Conor McDonough Quinn quinn at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Jun 17 01:35:09 UTC 2006

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde!

This may be a bit too much a matter grammatical than purely lexicographic,
but it seems like a notable aspect of this whole situation is that while
unmarked nominal forms exhibit this incredible range of interactions with
singular/plural and count/mass, while the explicitly marked plurals seem
only able to function as plurals for purposes of verb agreement.  The only
exception to this, Kim has dealt with quite effectively, I think, i.e.
that the Wilds of Buckinghamshire is a (singular) place.  As exemplified
by the verbal agreement of that last sentence itself.

This in turn reminds me of the ideas Hagit Borer has been writing about
recently: that functional grammatical material (like explicit plural
marking) "fixes" a form grammatically---hence the restriction to plural
agreement---while corresponding bare forms can reflect a broader range of
grammatical contexts and properties.  This seems to be what we're looking
at.

Regarding count-mass in particular, I know that Gennaro Chierchia has
recently done much work in this area (I'm cc-ing the thread to him, in the
hopes that he'll find it interesting), but I don't know his exact
references.  I like this kind of discussion: I tend to be a bit of a
butterfly-collector, and it's always nice to have the delightful
weirdnesses of my native language pointed out.

Sla/n,
bhur gcara

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rTZcGA/hOaOAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM