[Lexicog] Football or Soccer?

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sun Jun 18 13:31:14 UTC 2006

Chaz,

I was talking to an American friend of mine a while ago about rugby. I think
it was when England won the Rugby World Cup. He said, "Rugby, isn't that
American football without the padding?" ...

England (the football team) will need to up their game if they are to win
the World Cup.

Note for the grammarians: I would never say "England will need to up its
game ... "

On the plurality of things: I was just watching a scene from Arsenic and Old
Lace and Mortimer Brewster (Cary Grant) said to his Aunt Martha, "Others,
you mean more than one others?"

John R

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rTZcGA/hOaOAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM