[Lexicog] Naming the Beautiful Game: Football or Soccer?

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sun Jun 18 20:24:22 UTC 2006

Hi, John,

Times are changing. If you can read German, I recommend to read:

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/sonderthemen/archiv/18.06.2006/2599732.asp

If you can't, I summarize the article which says that "soccer" is about to
be renamed "football" in Australia, especially in the light of the recent
successes of the Australian team. Today they played a terrific game against
Brezil, although they lost.

Fritz

Hi Fritz,

Having read your article it seems to me that the folks who call football
"soccer", i.e. the Americans, Australians and Canadians, are the ones who
don't play the game very well. They don't even know what to call the game.
:-) For the rest of us, it is football - the beautiful game.

John Roberts

British > English > Liverpudlian > Everton supporter (we shouldn't have sold

Wayne Rooney)