[Lexicog] Re: Naming the Beautiful Game: Football or Soccer?

Michael Nicholas mrnicholas007 at YAHOO.ES
Wed Jun 21 13:23:02 UTC 2006

Dear Fritz,
   The last bit got mixed what with being in a hurry etc. So I have rewritten it. What I am trying to get at is the following. The predominant position of English means that other languages are heavily influenced by it:direct loan words, adaptations or using words that are apparently the same but are not in fact. If a modern language is used worldwide and then decides to write dictionaries based on a corpus, and if the corpus is based primarily on the written word, and if the writers are heavily influenced by English, then we will end up with a language community using words/constructions/that are really not a part of their language. EXAMPLE: Spanish has a word - SOSIAS. Halfway through the sixties the Spanish word DOBLE began to be used instead of SOSIAS because it existed and to many it must have seemed the Spanish version of DOUBLE. It now has that meaning!

Michael Nicholas <mrnicholas007 at yahoo.es> escribió:
            Dear Fritz,
     I think the song in question mentions how brave and honest and intelligent and honourable we English are  - while underlining that our most typical trait is that most English of virtues - MODESTY.

   The point I wanted to make is that this soccer/football debate is about how language  community B gets language community A  speakers to refer to the achievements of  A  in the language of community B. The next step is for A speakers to use B language instead of their own language in certain situations - (See the Jaques Tati film The Holiday of M. Hulot(?))

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> escribió:
          Sure, John, reminds me of the comic song with the refrain
  “The English the English the English are best
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.”

  Well, if England is the mother country of modern*  football, others have refined
  the game (I’ll send you something funny off-list, showing different football
  tactics which confirm our stereotypes about each other).

  Let’s keep our eye on the ball,

  Fritz

  *Maybe we can start a discussion about what is “modern”.
        John Roberts wrote:
  Thanks, Michael. And the British can do this too. See this website:

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/BestifBrits.htm

... but I think we have taken our eye off the ball.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com