[Lexicog] The English (was Naming the Beautiful Game ..)

Michael Nicholas mrnicholas007 at YAHOO.ES
Wed Jun 21 13:35:01 UTC 2006

Dear John,
   Of course. Example, "English weather is so fickle" (By the way, the song was sung with tongue firmly in cheek). We must also consider that English might different things to others. I can remember being told by a Spanish lady that her house was full of paintings in the English style. She meant paintings that represented fox - hunting. On the other hand, quite a few of us - of a certain age - will know what is meant by "it has a certain continental style"
John Roberts <dr_john_roberts at sil.org> escribió:
          Michael,

The Flanders and Swan comic song about the English being better than all the
rest acclaims the fact that the English are not like johnny foreigner who
all have ways inferior to the English. In the song "foreign" includes the
Scots, the Welsh and the Irish, by the way. But with over 250 languages
spoken in London it looks like the whole world has (or have) become English!
So what does it mean to be English today?

In my Collins COBUILD dictionary it says "English means belonging to or
relating to England, or to its people or language" and my NODE dictionary
says "English: relating to England or its people or language." I would say
only the first option is valid today. The English people have many different
ethnic and cultural mixes today. All the peoples of the world now live in
England and English is the language of the world. This is either the
ultimate irony for Flanders and Swan.or the ultimate vindication.

"The English the English the English are best
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest"

John Roberts

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com