[Lexicog] alter egos for double

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Jun 21 21:09:03 UTC 2006

Hey, David,

You have an eye for the minutest detail – a detail which can have
far-reaching consequences.

My switching the plural around with reference to your original subject line
was unconscious, maybe a Freudian slip or whatever some psychologist might
call it. No pun intended either.

I must have sent you my “Doppelgänger (double)” gag already. If not, I’ll
send it today.

Greetings,

Fritz

Given the right context, presumably so. My point was not that they are
strict synonyms, but only that it is not uncommon to find quite a few
different words that can be used for the same thing, and "Sosias" (a new
word for me—I know that Plautus and Molière existed and wrote some stuff,
but that's as far as I go—) is a case in point.

Your switching the plural around on the subject line is fun too.

--David T

Fritz Goerling wrote:

David, your subject line “alter ego for doubles” is interesting.

You also said further below:

“English could use "Sosias" as a doppelgänger for "double", and I would in
fact be surprised if no English-speakers ever have.”

Now, could “sosias”, “doppelgänger” and “double” be used interchangeably in
the same context?

Fritz