[Lexicog] News time

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Thu Jun 22 09:49:45 UTC 2006

It is not often that lexicographers feature on the BBC news website but
there is a posting there today where they do. The OUP have researched what
are the most common nouns in the English language. The most common is
"time". This is partly because of the scores of expressions in English
featuring time. But it is mainly because English speakers like to talk about
time a lot.

TOP 10 NOUNS
1 Time
2 Person
3 Year
4 Way
5 Day
6 Thing
7 Man
8 World
9 Life
10 Hand

But I found the most interesting comment was this:

"The thing that struck me when I put together this list was that 90% of the
top 100 words were one syllable, and that a large proportion were actually
from Old English, meaning the basic words we use all the time in basic
sentences are from before the Norman Conquest," he said. "We always put the
focus on new words, changing language and words from other countries, but in
reality the basic language we use has been the same for hundreds and
hundreds of years."

This means that at a fundamental level the English language hasn't changed
much for over 2000 years.

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM