[Lexicog] Juggernaut (was: The English (was Naming the Beautiful Game ..)

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu Jun 22 11:15:25 UTC 2006

Thanks for the explanation of "juggernaut", John,

Are you teasing me? I said the British tabloid "The Sun" (not the German

"Bild") uses headlines like the "The German juggernaut." The word
"juggernaut"

does not even exist in German.

How about a final "Germany against England", in which I personally do not
believe?

But that would be enormous fun from the sports point of view, and from
studying the headlines of our respective tabloids in advance.

Hi Fritz,

Yes I am also pleased England will avoid Germany in the next round. But if
they both keep winning then they will have to face each other at some stage.

:-(

According to my Oxford dictionary of English etymology "juggernaut" is a
title of Krishna, avatar of Vishnu or an idol of this carried in an enormous

car, under which (it was once said) devotees threw themselves. So the
implication of a headline in a German newspaper such as "The German
juggernaut" would be that the opposition are supposed to sacrifice
themselves for German glory ?? :-)

I wonder how many English speakers know where the word "juggernaut" comes
from?

John Roberts

__