[Lexicog] Spelling variants vs. synonyms

Andrew Dunbar hippytrail at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 24 18:03:00 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, goodtracks at peoplepc.com <goodtracks at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> If it were an entry for the dictionary I was making, I would select one
> entry of preference for the full entry, and then have the others listed with
> followed by a "See:  "MAIN ENTRY".
> jimm

Wiktionary has a "policy" of making a full entry for every
word. Chiefly to sidestep foreseen issues with whether
American or British spellings ought to be primary, but also
because we have plenty of space. Another reason is
because with open contribution there can be cases where
people push their favourite pet words. Yet another is that
we know none of us are trained linguists who don't really
have the expertise to choose the primary form, especially
when different print dictionaries choose different forms.
So it makes more sense to treat every synonym and
spelling as its own entity.

That said, I put "policy" in quotes becuase not everybody
agrees all the time and none of our policies are really fully
developed yet.

Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail)

--
http://linguaphile.sf.net