[Lexicog] Sort order problem

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 9 15:58:32 UTC 2006

from David Frank:

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with Shoebox/Toolbox, but I
would have expected a computer program like this to automatically delete any
trailing spaces for every field. Does the program not do that? It is a very
simple and standard thing to do. You shouldn't have to do that manually, or
do your own programming.

Surely Shoebox/Toolbox uses the space the way it does in sorting not because
of natural ASCII sort order or because of trailing spaces at the end of a
field, but because that is how the programmers thought that most people
would want entries sorted. But you should be able to specify your preferred
sort order. I will leave it up to someone else to say how spaces can be
ignored completely.

I still find it helpful to have a "sort key" field for each entry, whereby
the lexical entry is converted according to rules into a sort key, and the
sort key is used for sorting. I haven't tried doing that with
Shoebox/Toolbox, though.