[Lexicog] sorting of digraphs

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Sun Mar 12 07:21:03 UTC 2006

This is similar to an issue that has come up in the Philippines regarding the sorting of the digraph "ng". The way it is typically done is to put "ng" in the sort order as a unit, so it is handled as a digraph. And for purposes of linguistic analysis, that's probably what is needed. But one of our teams wrote up a report on a difficulty that came up with people not being able to find words where they looked for them when this "ng" was sorted as a digraph in print. Then one of our consultants did a survey in his language area to test this out, and came to the same conclusion - that for the purposes of sorting words alphabetically in vernacular dictionaries in the Philippines, "ng" needs to be treated as a sequence of two letters, "n" followed by "g", rather than as a digraph.

The same thing is routinely done in English dictionaries. In the ones I've checked, digraphs such as "ng", "th", "ch", and "sh" are alphabetized as sequences of individual letters, not as digraphs. The quote below from Sidney Landau says "Dictionaries usually alphabetize letter by letter rather than word by word". Maybe we could add to that, "Dictionaries usually alphabetize letter by letter rather than phoneme by phoneme".

Allan Johnson

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paula Jones
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 8:55 PM
  Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Sort order problem

  Dear Wayne & Greg,

  I am sorry I don't have time to read all of the correspondence carefully. I will just add the following -
  From Dictionaries: the art and craft of lexicography, Sidney Landau

  p.107

  ALPHABETIZATION - Dictionaries usually alphabetize letter by letter rather than word by word. They place power, powerful, and power of attorney in that order, whereas a word-by-word arrangement would place power of attorney before powerful. Letter-by-letter arrangement has the great virtue that readers need not know whether a compound is spelled as one word, as a hyphenated word, or as two words. Since usage is often divided about compounds - witness database and data base, e-mail and email - and is constantly shifting, the ability to locate such terms is of considerable practical importance.

  When I read this, even though it is written regarding English dictionaries, it gave me the incentive to ask about changing the sort order for Eduria & Barasano, Eastern Tucanoan, which has a confusing mixup of word-breaks that we have tried to make more consistent based on meaning (i.e. if the part separated by a space has no meaning, it is combined) that the speakers agree with most of the time but there are cases where they want the space based on the phonetics. This inconsistency caused us to lean toward a sort order that ignores the spaces or work breaks. Also, the subentry system the speakers desire also fed into this, but I won't give the details on that. When I asked about changing, I was told to put a _ where there was a space / word break in the \lx field and to add it to the sort order properties to be ignored. I am sure it is not the best way to do it (did some by hand and others in Note Pad), but this change has caused the Eduria & Barasana to be much happier with the sort order, though that may be the change in the subentry organization that was done at the same time. Paula S. Jones