[Lexicog] a question about profession

Justice, Alexander ajustice at LMU.EDU
Thu Mar 16 03:06:28 UTC 2006

Hi Ken. Thanks for introducing yourself.

I'm also interested in lexicography due to my interest in Scottish
Gaelic, which has a history of lexicography, but not of reference books
generally. It has only recently stopped suffering government policies
designed to stamp it out, although they may have succeeded. The Scottish
government has now reversed those policies.

In addition, I began to realize that as a reference librarian, I had
been taking contemporary lexicography for granted and knew very little
about it, even though there is a growing body of literature and a wide
array of computer applications involved.

Alexander Justice

310.338.5947
ajustice at lmu.edu

________________________________

	From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kenneth C. Hill
	Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 3:36 PM
	To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
	Subject: RE: [Lexicog] a question about profession

	It looks like it might be opportune to let the list know yet
again what
	each one of us is about so people can understand what topics may
be of
	interest.

	I was editor-in-chief of the Hopi Dictionary (published in 1998)
and have
	continued to work on a digital version of that dictionary,
expanding and
	improving it. Now that dictionaries have entered the digital
age, there's
	no problem with dictionaries of minority languages being quite
expansive.

	Hopi is a Uto-Aztecan language spoken in northeastern Arizona.

	Lexicography contributes to my interest in comparative
Uto-Aztecan
	linguistics.

	--Ken Hill

	--- "Justice, Alexander" <ajustice at lmu.edu> wrote:

	> Interesting. I've been using "fridge" all my 40+ years (raised
in or
	> near Chicago). So has everyone around me.

	. . .

	> Quite on another tack, I was wondering who tends to populate
this list.
	> I'm a reference librarian myself, but with growing interest in
	> contemporary lexicographal methods and minority / endangered
languages.

	> Alexander Justice
	> Reference Librarian
	>
	> Von der Ahe Library
	> Loyola Marymount University
	> One LMU Drive
	> Los Angeles, CA 90045
	>
	> 310.338.5947
	> ajustice at lmu.edu
	>
	> http://www.lmu.edu/library

	http://mail.yahoo.com

Science kits
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+kits&w1=Science+kits&w2=Sci
ence+education&w3=Science+kit+for+kid&w4=Cognitive+science&w5=Science+ed
ucation+supply&w6=My+first+science+kit&c=6&s=145&.sig=0qmh_LxwxM-rDbioCJ
FS6Q>  	Science education
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+education&w1=Science+kits&w
2=Science+education&w3=Science+kit+for+kid&w4=Cognitive+science&w5=Scien
ce+education+supply&w6=My+first+science+kit&c=6&s=145&.sig=Excj8HDtQcq_A
ebnkeeGWA>  	Science kit for kid
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+kit+for+kid&w1=Science+kits
&w2=Science+education&w3=Science+kit+for+kid&w4=Cognitive+science&w5=Sci
ence+education+supply&w6=My+first+science+kit&c=6&s=145&.sig=TKv0Pos6NUk
T3-2vw9y_0g>
Cognitive science
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cognitive+science&w1=Science+kits&w
2=Science+education&w3=Science+kit+for+kid&w4=Cognitive+science&w5=Scien
ce+education+supply&w6=My+first+science+kit&c=6&s=145&.sig=4LhN5e-euwMZL
UgPOsoG9Q>  	Science education supply
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+education+supply&w1=Science
+kits&w2=Science+education&w3=Science+kit+for+kid&w4=Cognitive+science&w
5=Science+education+supply&w6=My+first+science+kit&c=6&s=145&.sig=I_uaOJ
i7S2ku24m3Ad-zTQ>  	My first science kit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=My+first+science+kit&w1=Science+kit
s&w2=Science+education&w3=Science+kit+for+kid&w4=Cognitive+science&w5=Sc
ience+education+supply&w6=My+first+science+kit&c=6&s=145&.sig=XpTpH51aY4
wda-bBFInovQ>

	*	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

	*	 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .