[Lexicog] a question about profession

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sat Mar 18 23:58:10 UTC 2006

I've been fascinated with words all my life. Both my mother and father were/are, as well. I have spent the last 30 years studying the Cheyenne language spoken in Montana and Oklahoma. It's part of the large Algonquian language family of North America. I thoroughly enjoy rooting around in the Cheyenne lexicon. It's a high point of any day for me if I discover some new Cheyenne word. I'm glad that we have computers now and decent programs for working with lexical data. The program I use most of the time for lexical work are Shoebox and Lexique Pro. Actually, I seldom use Shoebox anymore, but, instead, do everything directly from Lexique Pro. It's one of the most user-friendly computer programs I have used. I would like to see better ways of displaying semantic networks. Semantic domain lists are a good start but there is a lot more to semantic networking than linear lists. Of course there are plenty of semantic links available within Shoebox, Toolbox, and other similar lexical programs, but I have yet to use a program that *displays* the variety of linkages very well. I have been fascinated using a lexical program for English called Visual Thesaurus. It would be nice if we could display semantic linkages for other languages as VT does for English.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language