[Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 22 23:25:38 UTC 2006

English has no direct counterpart for poposoka "make a sort of sighing
sound when boiling/bubbling" nor for its causative kipoposotza "cause
gruel or something similar to make a sighing sound when
boiling/bubbling", nor does it have a good translation for wel
"(untranslatable)" nor for metlapil "long cylindrical stone used for
grinding on a metate (metlatl)" or lots of other words in Nahuatl. Words
which other languages omit are a very commonplace phenomenon. Maybe what
you're looking for is words from languages in the same language family
and/or cultural sphere (like English and Swedish) which don't have ready
single-word translations?

--David Tuggy