[Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

David williams david at DWDW1.COM
Wed Mar 22 21:20:09 UTC 2006

You're  quite right Mike, I was looking more for omissions which might
reflect upon the culture or heritage or values of societies. For example if
there were a language which had no counterpart for evil or good or truth or
lust. I remember years ago reading of tribes which saw deceit as a virtue,
although this might well have been apocryphal.

Best wishes,

David

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike_Cahill at sil.org
Sent: 22 March 2006 20:52
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

Did you have any types of words in mind? Koma of northern Ghana has no word
for "pizza," and English no word for "saang," but I'm not sure that the
thousands of such examples (food, technology) that could be generated are
the type of thing you're looking for.

Mike Cahill

"David Williams" <david at dwdw1.com>
Sent by: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com

HI I'm researching words which some languages omit. I'm trying to
build up some examples. I believe, for instance, that in Swedish there
is no direct counterpart for 'mind'.
If anyone has any examples I'd be delighted to hear them.
cheers
DW

  _____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

*	 Visit your group "lexicographylist
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lexicographylist> " on the web.

*	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

*	 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

  _____