[Lexicog] Re: Words that are absent in particular languages

David Williams david at DWDW1.COM
Wed Mar 22 21:27:49 UTC 2006

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "David Williams" <david at ...>
wrote:

> HI I'm researching words which some languages omit. I'm trying to
> build up some examples. I believe, for instance, that in Swedish
there
> is no direct counterpart for 'mind'.
> If anyone has any examples I'd be delighted to hear them.
> cheers
> DW

Many thanks to those who have offered suggestions. Just to clarify,
I'm particularly interested in the abscence of words which by their
omisision might reflect the culture of the language group. I remeMber
reading many yers ago of a tribe who saw the ability to deceive as a
virtue and their language refelcted this. This might well have been an
apocryphal tale, but it's this avenue I'm looking at.
best wishes to all,
DavidW