[Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

Mary Kaestner maryk_homes4you at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 23 03:30:08 UTC 2006

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't repent fulfill that meaning?
  Mary Kaestner

Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    English lacks a good word for the Japanese hansei, which means to reflect on the things one has done wrong. To feel remorse seems more a state of guilt or at least emotion, rather than an serious consideration of the facts at hand. My experience has been that Americans are, indeed, reluctant to do this, so this lexical lack seems to be a reflection of the culture.

  Benjamin Barrett
  Baking the World a Better Place
  www.hiroki.us

---------------------------------
  From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David williams
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:20 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

    You’re  quite right Mike, I was looking more for omissions which might reflect upon the culture or heritage or values of societies. For example if there were a language which had no counterpart for evil or good or truth or lust. I remember years ago reading of tribes which saw deceit as a virtue, although this might well have been apocryphal.

        Science kits   Science education   Science kit for kid     Cognitive science   Science education supply   My first science kit