[Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

Thu Mar 23 03:43:08 UTC 2006

To me, repenting is an act of self-punishment or guilt. It does not
necessarily mean you consider what you did, only that you feel sorry for
having done something bad. Hansei does occur in the US; we see parents say
things like, "I want you to sit there and think about what you did." BB

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mary Kaestner
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 7:30 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't repent fulfill that meaning?
Mary Kaestner

Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

English lacks a good word for the Japanese hansei, which means to reflect on
the things one has done wrong. To feel remorse seems more a state of guilt
or at least emotion, rather than an serious consideration of the facts at
hand. My experience has been that Americans are, indeed, reluctant to do
this, so this lexical lack seems to be a reflection of the culture.

Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place
www.hiroki.us <http://www.hiroki.us/>

  _____