[Lexicog] Words that are absent in particular languages

Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 23 04:06:33 UTC 2006

Repent isn't used a whole lot in normal American English discourse, but as
I understand it, it means not only to be sorry for something you've done,
but to decide that you're not going to do it again. There's a change of
your actual actions, more than just thinking about them.

Mary Kaestner <maryk_homes4you at yahoo.com>
Sent by: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't repent fulfill that meaning?
Mary Kaestner

Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
      English lacks a good word for the Japanese hansei, which means to
      reflect on the things one has done wrong. To feel remorse seems more
      a state of guilt or at least emotion, rather than an serious
      consideration of the facts at hand. My experience has been that
      Americans are, indeed, reluctant to do this, so this lexical lack
      seems to be a reflection of the culture.

      Benjamin Barrett
      Baking the World a Better Place
      www.hiroki.us