[Lexicog] a question about profession

Klaus Spreda klaus_spreda at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 22 08:16:39 UTC 2006

I would like to direct a question to Wayne Leman. Can you tell me where I find information about the program Lexique Pro? Since at present I can devote only a small percentage of my time to lexicography I obviously have missed the basic info about this.

While I am at it, I also do not understand, how the digests work. Where can I read about those?

Klaus Spreda
Former lexicographer for the Metta Project, Cameroon
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wayne Leman
  Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:58 AM
  Subject: [Lexicog] a question about profession

  I've been fascinated with words all my life. Both my mother and father were/are, as well. I have spent the last 30 years studying the Cheyenne language spoken in Montana and Oklahoma. It's part of the large Algonquian language family of North America. I thoroughly enjoy rooting around in the Cheyenne lexicon. It's a high point of any day for me if I discover some new Cheyenne word. I'm glad that we have computers now and decent programs for working with lexical data. The program I use most of the time for lexical work are Shoebox and Lexique Pro. Actually, I seldom use Shoebox anymore, but, instead, do everything directly from Lexique Pro. It's one of the most user-friendly computer programs I have used. I would like to see better ways of displaying semantic networks. Semantic domain lists are a good start but there is a lot more to semantic networking than linear lists. Of course there are plenty of semantic links available within Shoebox, Toolbox, and other similar lexical programs, but I have yet to use a program that *displays* the variety of linkages very well. I have been fascinated using a lexical program for English called Visual Thesaurus. It would be nice if we could display semantic linkages for other languages as VT does for English.

  Wayne
  -----
  Wayne Leman
  Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language

        Cognitive science  Science education supply  My first science kit