[Lexicog] Re: Words that are absent in particular languages

David williams david at DWDW1.COM
Thu Mar 23 18:49:58 UTC 2006

Thanks Ron, Could you suggest some of the languages which have such missing
domains.

Best wishes,

David

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ron Moe
Sent: 23 March 2006 17:18
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Re: Words that are absent in particular languages

Ken has made an important observation about lexical gaps. If we look at all
the words in a language that are used to talk about a domain, we may find a
plethora of words and phrases that cover the domain quite nicely. But if we
look for an exact match between a complex concept in one language and the
same identical concept in another language, we will usually be disappointed.
What may be of more relevance to David is when an entire domain is missing.
For instance in English we have a large domain 'thank, thankful,
thanksgiving, say thanks, gratitude, grateful, appreciate, show your
appreciation, You're welcome, ingratitude, (and many others)'. These all
refer to various aspects of a cultural script. I've heard of languages where
this cultural script is missing, and therefore all the words refering to it.

Ron Moe