[Lexicog] No word for ...

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 25 17:04:18 UTC 2006

Rudy's example about languages with singulary terms for 'older brother',
etc. raises the interesting question of how such a language deals with
concepts such as that expressed in English as 'brothers', i.e., the set of
older and/or younger brothers. In Hopi 'older and younger brothers' is
expressed by naatupkom (dual)/naanatupkom (plural). Naatupkom (naa-tupko-m
[REFLEXIVE-younger.sibling-NONSINGULAR]) means (1) siblings of the same
sex, (2) younger brother/older sister pair. Hopi abounds in expressions
referring to various combinations of relatives. One reason this is of
lexicographical significance is that a word like naatupkom should be
accessible under 'brother' in the English-to-Hopi finder list but we
forgot to include it because we weren't thinking of these complexities. We
included only 'older brother' and 'younger brother' (each of which has its
own forms inflected for number) but we forgot to specify how older and
younger brothers are referred to at the same time. One reason for this
lexicography list is to help us all to do lexicography better.

This also brings my attention to the fact that until recently English had
no term for 'brother or sister regardless of sex'. Lately, the term
'sibling' has filled this gap. The OED specifies 'sibling' as 'obsolete',
but the term was resuscitated in the anthropological literature and has
now become fairly widely accepted.

--Ken Hill