[Lexicog] Looking for a Native American participant in LSA panel

rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 29 19:48:14 UTC 2006

This note was just forwarded to me by Susan Penfield, a member of our faculty
working with Mohave and other languages. I thought that someone on the list
might be interested, or know someone to recommend.

     Rudy Troike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lise M. Dobrin <ld4n at virginia.edu>
Date: Mar 27, 2006 6:12 PM
Subject: LSA session advice
To: Susan Penfield <susan.penfield at gmail.com>

Hi Susan,

I am writing to solicit your advice. I am submitting a proposal for a
special session at the LSA dealing with the relatinoship between
missionary linguistics and academic linguistics. I think it is a
timely topic with the LSA considering forming an ethics body (I think
we've talked about this) and the field of endangered lg lx getting so
well established. Anyway, I was thinking it might be good to have at
least one indigenous voice on the panel, especially from NAmerica,
but I don't have much in the way of connections to that part of the
field. Is there anyone you could recommend? So far it's me and Jeff
Good, Pattie Epps (great linganth person at UT Austin who works in
the Amazon), Dan Everett, and I hope Ken Olson (an SIL person; still
waiting to hear back from him). I want the focus to be on
institutionalized relationships, with the focus on us more than the
missions. While my perspective is basically critical, I want to be
very careful to set a constructive tone, so whoever it is would have
to be willing to stick to the plane of ideas. I recall from the
Cambridge conference that you were on good terms with Phil Cash Cash;
if you think he might know someone please do feel free to pass the
word on. My time frame is pretty tight -- I think the proposal has to
go in by about mid April.

Take care,
Lise