[Lexicog] Prototypical bird

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Fri May 12 02:28:13 UTC 2006

How about a robin pulling up a worm in the backyard? That seems kind of
prototypical. And maybe a bit bigger than a sparrow.

Allan J.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth C. Hill" <kennethchill at yahoo.com>
To: <RELEASED MESSAGE>; <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Prototypical bird

I don't know what species the English-language prototypical bird comes
closest to but it certainly is not the sparrow. I would expect a description
of a sparrow would typically include a comment to the effect that it is a
"little bird". Thus the prototypical bird is larger than a sparrow.
Presumably the prototypical bird would be "medium sized". What size that may
be, though, escapes me right now.

--Ken

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM