[Lexicog] Q: Language and Technology

Klaus Spreda klaus_spreda at SIL.ORG
Fri May 12 10:16:13 UTC 2006

Hallo Terence,

I would be willing to try and answer your questions. But I cannot get your quetionaire. When I click on it_all_fitz at yahoo.com Winword tries to open but does not succeed. Probably because of some security device. Would you send the questionaire as an attachment to me?.

Cordial greetings,
Klaus
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Terence Fitzgerald
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:20 AM
  Subject: [Lexicog] Q: Language and Technology

  Hello All,

  I am Terence Fitzgerald, a graduate student in Pratt Institute’s School of Information and Library Science.

  My academic work focuses on human-computer interaction, particularly the ways in which, as Marshall McLuhan wrote, “We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us.”  Currently, I am examining technology’s effects on people’s relationship with language.  Specifically, I question whether technology is transforming that relationship in ways never seen before—or simply causing them to revert to existing behaviors.

  As part of my work I have constructed a brief questionaire for lexicographers and linguists.  The responses I compile will be used to inform future projects.  If you are willing to answer the questionnaire, please reply to me off list at it_all_fitz at yahoo.com.

  Sincerely,
  Terence