[Lexicog] Prototypical "white"

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Fri May 12 16:57:00 UTC 2006

Growing up in the US, Latin Americans are not really considered white.
On census forms, for example, one can mark his race (or leave it blank)
and one of the options is "white, not of Hispanic origin". All of the
Latins I knew growing up were Mexican and therefore mestizo and rather
dark. It was rather surprising to me when I watched Mexican TV that
most of the personalities were really just as white as I was. When we
went to Costa Rica and Colombia, it was obvious that socio-economic
status was predictable by color. (In Panama, it is less predictable.)
Many Latins do consider themselves to be white.

I don't consider Arabs or Chinese white and my guess is that most North
Americans consider Arabs to be "Middle Eastern", possibly
"Mediterranean" or just "Arab", and Chinese to be "Oriental" or "Asian"
or just "Chinese."

It occurred to me that people from India are Indo-European but very
dark. I wonder if some people consider them "white."

-Chaz